Date:      Mon, 16 Feb 2015 18:37:08 -0800
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jasoncwells@fastmail.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Analyze and Edit a Binary File

I use some engineering software called Catia. The files produced by
Catia encode a software version number. If the version number is
greater than the version of the installed software, Catia refuses to
open the file. This is annoying in the extreme. Especially if you want
to share files in the spirit of open source. If the files that I create
are newer than the Catia version of my audience, then my audience can't
use my files.

My question to my more knowledgeable computer geek friends: How do I
analyze and edit an arbitrary binary file? I know this is a bigger topic
than a quick response on -chat might allow. So really what I am asking
is, What tools, topics, and keywords do I need to google in order to
understand this task.

Thanks in advance, Jason C. Wells