Date:      Sat, 21 Mar 2015 19:35:35 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Raphael Abreu <raphael.lorenzeto@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Proposed improvement to LOGGER(1)

On Tue, 17 Mar 2015, Raphael Abreu wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> This is the first time I am sumbitting an e-mail to this list so sorry if I
> break any protocols.
>
> I would like to propose an improvement to the LOGGER(1) entry:
>
> https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=logger%281%29
>
> Where it reads:
>
> *-f*	*file*
> 	     Log the specified file.
>
> For clarification it should read:
>
> *-f*	*file*
> 	     Log the contents of specified file. This option cannot be
> combined with a command-line message.
>
> I struggled for some time with this parameter and only understood what was
> going on after reading a GNU version:
>
> http://praxis.edoceo.com/man/1/LOGGER
>
> Searching on stackexchange and other sites I could see that mistaking the
> meaning of this flag is quite common.
>
> I hope this can be a positve contribuition.

The man page for FreeBSD 11 already has a better description, although
it does not describe the behavior when both -f and a message are given.
Even if the copyright of the Linux man page allowed us to copy it
directly, it does not really describe what happens when both -f and a
message are given.  Instead, I have committed this original update:
https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/usr.bin/logger/logger.1?r1=280336&r2=280335&pathrev=280336

This was committed to -CURRENT, and will be MFCed into FreeBSD 10-STABLE
in a week or so.

Thanks!