Date:      Wed, 07 Jan 2015 13:15:08 -0800
From:      Benjamin Connelly <ben@electricembers.coop>
To:        freebsd-pkg@freebsd.org
Subject:   mostly pkg, some ports

Is it OK to compile some things (from a current ports tree) and update
the rest with pkg?

For example, on a new server with mysql56 installed via pkg, I wanted to
install mytop, but that binary package wanted to swap mysql56 for
mysql55.  So I installed mytop from ports. It built using my installed
mysql56, and everything was happy.  But that made it tricky/impossible
to use 'pkg upgrade' going forward:

New packages to be INSTALLED:
         mysql55-client: 5.5.41

Installed packages to be REINSTALLED:
         p5-DBD-mysql-4.029 (direct dependency changed)
         dialog4ports-0.1.5_2 (options changed)

Knowing I caused this situation with the mytop port, I tried locking it,
but that doesn't help.  It's actually mytop's requirement for
p5-DBD-mysql, which was built using mysql56 locally, but using mysql55
in the repo.  (Even deleting mytop left me confused, until I figured out
it was p5-DBD-mysql still around causing the trouble -- and the appeal
of pkg is to not have to play that old tired game of manually tracking
dependencies up and down.)

Do I need to run poudriere as soon as I want to use anything other than
the default versions of things (overriding
/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.default-versions.mk with /etc/make.conf)? Or am I just
missing something about how to drive pkg correctly in these situations?
(Perhaps something with 'pkg set -o'? -- I'm under the impression that's
no longer something I should run. . .)

I was also hoping to use PHP 5.6 on this system, but with the default
still at 5.4 I'm worried there will be similar troubles if I start
mixing ports into my packages.  Any and all pointers welcome!  And I'm
available to help develop documentation for best practices for
administrators. . .

  Benjamin