Date:      Sun, 16 Aug 2015 09:23:46 +0100
From:      Mike Clarke <jmc-freebsd2@milibyte.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Perl 5.20 breaks /usr/bin/perl

On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 21:38:22 +0200
Mathieu Arnold <mat@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> +--On 15 ao=FBt 2015 22:25:47 +0200 Xavier <xavier@groumpf.org> wrote:

[snip]
=20
> | IMHO, the port should at least emit a warning, since almost every Perl
> | program I'm aware of (including those I wrote for 20 years, since
> | MacPerl) use shebang /usr/bin/perl. I even remember it's mentioned in t=
he
> | Camel Book.
>=20
> It was mentionned in UPDATING, in the 20150513 entry, the one
> explaining how you upgrade from 5.18 to 5.20 :-)

Although it was mentioned in UPDATING there could be problems for users
who rely entirely on pkg and never build from ports. Many of these
users will not have, nor need, an up to date ports tree in which case
they will not be aware of this.

IMHO the note about the symlink having been removed should also have
been included as pkg-message.

--=20
Mike Clarke