Date:      Wed, 16 Sep 2015 12:51:53 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz_lst@tdx.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-proliant@freebsd.org
Subject:   Proliant DL320 Gen8 Mk2 - 'virtual CD boot' fails with error 19?

Hi All,

Does anyone know a way of persuading Proliant G8's to boot off of an ILO
virtual CD?

We've used this for a while to install FreeBSD at remote locations (e.g.
via Supermicro's IPMI - and early ILO versions) - but the G8's we're using
now fail...

i.e. Log into ILO - start a console session, 'attach' an ISO to the virtual
CDROM - boot the server.

This seems to go fine until the mountroot point - where we get:

Trying to mount root from [blah] []...
mountroot: waiting for device [blah]
Mounting from [blah] failed with error 19.

We also see a number of:

(probe0:umass-sim0:0:0:0) CAM status: CCB request completed with an error
(probe0:umass-sim0:0:0:0) Retrying command
(probe0:umass-sim0:0:0:0) INQUIRY. CDB: 12 00 01 00 00

[blah] is some path to the CDROM - you can retry it with 'cd9660:/dev/acd0'
- but that nets the same error.

'?' at the mountroot point shows the local hard drive partitions - but no
CDROM device I can see.

So it looks like at the cross over point from 'BIOS' calls to access the CD
to the kernel's drivers, something isn't happy.

If you repeat the process a *large number of times* (e.g. several in a row)
- it will finally 'catch' and work - but the rest of the time you just get
this error.

Can anyone think of anything that can be tweaked to get this working a bit
more reliably?

Thanks,

-Karl