Date:      Sun, 28 Jun 2015 18:07:12 +1000
From:      Kubilay Kocak <koobs@FreeBSD.org>
To:        David Naylor <dbn@freebsd.org>, freebsd-python@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Simplifying lang/pypy(3)

On 27/06/2015 9:16 PM, David Naylor wrote:
> Hi,
>
> lang/pypy was originally set up to achieve:
>
>  * building of multiple pypy instances based on different setting (i.e. with
> or without jit, sandboxing, etc).  The port user could define any permutation
> she desires.
>
>  * Install in a directory layout more similar to lang/python (i.e. libraries
> in lib/, include files in include/).
>
> I plan to simplify the port by removing the multi-instance support and using
> the default directory layout of the port.  This will fix issues with
> virtualenv and reduce the learning curve of using/maintaining the port.
>
> To this end does anyone:
>
>  a) use the multi-instance support?
>
>  b) depend on the current directory layout?
>
> Based on feedback I will adapt my plans to simplify.
>
> Regards

Thanks for opening up the question to the list David

My vote (without my python hat on) would be for lang/pypy being as close
to the upstream experience (freebsd improvements not withstanding) as
the possibly by default as that would be my expectation as a user
knowing nothing else.

>From there work on additions or extensions, possibly as extra (slave)
ports or something similar

./koobs