Date:      Sat, 17 Oct 2015 17:37:40 -0700
From:      hiren panchasara <hiren@strugglingcoder.info>
To:        Randall Stewart <rrs@netflix.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Transports <transport@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   dupack counter processing (was: Re: The trouble with sack..)

--ExIO7AL6tcaLjJBF

On 10/07/15 at 12:17P, Randall Stewart via freebsd-transport wrote:
>=20
> 2) When we recognize a dup-ack we *will not* recognize it if for example =
if the rwnd changes even
>     if new SACK information is reported in the sack blocks. This is due t=
o the fact that in non-SACK you don?t
>     (on purpose) recognize ACK?s where the window changed (since you can?=
t really tell if its a
>      plain window update or a dup-ack).. This means we occasionally miss =
out
>     on stroking the dup-ack counter and getting out of recovery....

Just learned that linux triggers fast recovery right away when it
receives a dupack with SACK info that covers at least 3 packets
(essentially indicating that 3 packets made it through successfully
after a loss/drop event).
Here, 3 is tcprexmtthresh for us.

This also follows rfc6675. (IsLost()).

Cheers,