Date:      Sat, 02 Jan 2016 21:16:16 -0500
From:      "George Neville-Neil" <gnn@neville-neil.com>
To:        freebsd-announce@freebsd.org
Subject:   [FreeBSD-Announce] Initial FreeBSD Core Team comments on concerns about harassment in the FreeBSD community

This is an OpenPGP/MIME signed message (RFC 3156 and 4880).

--=_MailMate_408ED771-9602-4D8E-95CE-CBF28F5BCB40_=

Dear FreeBSD Community:

There has been significant communication over the last two days relating =
to Randi Harper=E2=80=99s recent blog post, which demands an urgent respo=
nse. First, and to be clear: there will be no tolerance for harassment or=
 abusive behavior within the FreeBSD Project or its broader community. We=
 encourage any community members aware of problems in this regard to cont=
act us immediately.

We take Randi's post and the concerns she (and others) have raised extrem=
ely seriously. It is important to understand that the ultimate outcome of=
 her complaint, and interaction with Core, was the resignation of the par=
ty in question=E2=80=99s project commit rights =E2=80=94 a result that re=
spected Randi=E2=80=99s specific request that action be taken quietly. Ho=
wever, we believe (and agree) that the project has much to learn about ho=
w best to respond to online abuse and harassment. We will better document=
 our procedures =E2=80=94 and the changes to them that resulted from this=
 experience. These changes in particular will reflect how to earlier and =
better differentiate conflict resolution (for which our procedures are cu=
rrently tuned) and harassment (which demands different procedures). It is=
 clear that there are additional improvements to make.

A number of members of the FreeBSD developer community have requested a m=
ore detailed accounting of the events Randi describes in her article. Thi=
s will be produced. The Core e-mail correspondence involved is quite subs=
tantial, and it will take several days to sort through to complete a repo=
rt suitable for distribution. The delay is in part because of the necessa=
ry confidentiality with which reports of harassment and requests for conf=
lict resolution are treated: as a matter of policy, and also, commonly, t=
he request of those reporting concerns, they do not appear in published C=
ore Reports and hence have not been prepared for distribution. We ask for=
 your patience as we prepare this material, which may offer an additional=
 view on events.

A brief comment on the Code of Conduct. The Project=E2=80=99s committer g=
uide has long required that developers treat each other with respect. Com=
munity members will hopefully be aware of the more recent (and concrete) =
Code of Conduct (CoC). This document, already under development, was rush=
ed into service (leading to less feedback sought than we would have liked=
) in July 2015 as a result of Randi=E2=80=99s report =E2=80=94 and has si=
nce been updated several times following community (and legal) feedback. =
This CoC is critical to both documenting =E2=80=94 and enforcing =E2=80=94=
 community standards. It is, of necessity, a living document, and in Octo=
ber 2015 we appealed to the FreeBSD developer community for volunteers to=
 assist with further improvements. We also solicited a number of independ=
ent reviewers from broader open-source, corporate, and academic communiti=
es to assist with updating it further (as well as auditing it for implici=
t bias). The FreeBSD developer community was this week (re-)invited to co=
ntact the Core Team about joining that committee, which had its most rece=
nt teleconference in the last week of December.

Please do watch this space for further information in the immediate futur=
e. While this message was initially prepared for the developer community,=
 it is one that we are comfortable with being distributing further. Howev=
er, the report to be released next week will be more suitable for public =
discussion. You should also feel free to get in touch with us individuall=
y or collectively with your concerns or suggestions.

The Core Team

PS The previous message has been adapted from a similar message sent to t=
he FreeBSD developers mailing list on 2 January 2015. While intended prim=
arily for that audience, it is also suitable for the more broad FreeBSD c=
ommunity, and has been posted for that reason.