Date:      Sat, 18 Nov 2017 23:16:27 -0800
From:      Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net>
To:        bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
Cc:        Freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ssh sessions close spontaneously on rpi2

[The problem that I reported does not
happen on a rpi2b V1.1.]

On 2017-Nov-18, at 12:45 PM, Mark Millard <markmi at dsl-only.net> wrote:

> [...]
>> 	$ export VARIABLE
>> bob@www:~ % Connection to com closed.
>> bob@raspberrypi:~ $
>> bob@raspberrypi:~ $ ssh com
>> Password for bob@www.zefox.com:
>> Last login: Sat Nov 18 08:41:33 2017 from 192.168.1.20
>> FreeBSD 12.0-CURRENT (RPI2) #9 r325916: Fri Nov 17 01:03:51 PST 2017
>> You can use aliases to decrease the amount of typing you need to do to get
>> commands you commonly use.  Examples of fairly popular aliases include (in
>> Bourne shell style, as in /bin/sh, bash, ksh, and zsh):
>>
>> 	alias lf="ls -FA"
>> 	alias ll="ls -lA"
>> 	alias su="su -m"
>>
>> In csh or tcsh, these would be
>>
>> 	alias lf ls -FA
>> 	alias ll ls -lA
>> 	alias su su -m
>>
>> To remove an alias, you can usually use 'unalias aliasname'.  To list all
>> aliases, you can usually type just 'alias'.
>> bob@www:~ % Connection to com closed.
>> =============end copy/paste============
>>
>> Stopping the make clean session restores normal behavior. Long-established
>> ssh connections seem  to keep functioning normally, three have stayed up
>> overnight, though two restarts of the make clean session.
>>
>> At the same time, the reports of attempted umounts of /dev seem to have
>> stopped, although the make clean sessions still stop, with only a cryptic
>> "2 errors" on the controlling ssh session. There's nothing on the console
>> or in the message log.
>>
>> Altogether this is rather disturbing and I'd be grateful for any insights.
>
> [Be warned that the BPI-M3 context here is experimental
> currently: official build support has been disabled
> for now, pending the switch to Linux based DTB content.
> (There is a committer waiting for that *.dt* source
> to be in FreeBSD.) I've temporarily patched a few
> things to keep my BPI-M3 builds going during the "not
> supported" time.]
>
> It may not be rpi2 specific but an example of a more
> general armv7(/6?) issue:
>
> Using -r325700 (on both the BPI-M3 and amd64) and a debug
> kernel (but with DIAGNOSTICs disabled) I've discovered
> that when I nfs mount the BPI-M3 from the amd64 and try a
> recursive diff:
>
> # mount -o noatime,hard,intr <local-address-here>:/ /mnt
> # diff -r /usr/src/sys/ /mnt/src/sys/
>
> the Ethernet connection on the BPI-M3 stops working:
> existing connections time out and ping in and out both
> fail. (The serial console still works fine.)
>
> Via the serial console I can sometimes restart the
> networking via:
>
> # ifconfig awg0 down
> # ifconfig awg0 up
>
> but if the "diff -r" is still going when I do that the
> BPI-M3 networking will quickly fail again.
>
> No console messages, no core files.
>
> So far this type of test sequence always fails in
> a fairly short time.
>
> [DIAGNOSTICS was disabled because with it enabled
> the USB did not find USB devices and I normally
> use a USB SSD for the root file system.]

I finally got an rpi2 "modernized" to -r325700
(with the new sysutils/rpi-firmware and updated
sysutils/u-boot-rpi2 materials). ( -r325700 matches
the BPI-M3 and other contexts that I currently
have access to.)

# mount -o noatime,hard,intr <local-address-here>:/ /mnt
# diff -r /usr/src/sys/ /mnt/src/sys/

is working just fine so far.

So more likely this problem is ALLWINNER, A83T, or
BPI-M3 specific.

Sorry for the noise.

===
Mark Millard