Date:      Sun, 26 Feb 2017 13:25:48 +0100
From:      Milan Obuch <freebsd-hackers@dino.sk>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   kern.ostype - where gets its value?

Hi,

I am building FreeBSD from source all the time, and recently I realised
there is something I do not fully understand.

I use 'svn update' to fetch current source tree and for various devices
I share this tree via nfs. It is at least convenient for smaller
devices like Orange Pi or Pine64, svn is run once and used on more
devices. This has one effect I do not like - kernel compiled on machine
used for 'svn update' gets full version information including svn
revision number, as in

# uname -v
FreeBSD 10.3-STABLE #0 r313019: Wed Feb  1 07:07:02 CET 2017
root@tiny.dino.sk:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/TINY

(line wrapped)

versus missing revision as in

# uname -v
FreeBSD 12.0-CURRENT #0: Thu Feb  2 05:00:09 CET 2017
root@tiny.dino.sk:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ALLWINNER_ONE

(again, line wrapped by mailer, by these are just an examples).

=46rom my experience it looks like this problem is caused by svn not
being able to be run on nfs mounted directory, no matter the
architecture - today I tried with both server and client running
10.3-STABLE on i386, svn just fails.

So I think this is root cause for missing svn revision number,
buildkernel process somehow uses svn to fetch svn revision number,
fails, and then just omits it. If I undestand it right, this
information is put into /sys/kern/kern_mib.c file's kern.version
sysctl, maybe via some include or some generated .c file is used for
it. Could someone point me to the right direction how is this done? I
would like to find at least some workaround for that...

Regards,
Milan