Date:      Sun, 12 Nov 2017 12:58:49 +0100
From:      Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
To:        Michael Grimm <trashcan@ellael.org>, freebsd-jail@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Update jails strategy

Michael Grimm wrote on 2017/11/11 21:42:
> Hi --
>
> [FYI: I am running some service jails with an ezjail-type basejail approach.]
>
> Until now I did stop all jails before updating and restarting them afterwards. Now I am wondering if that is necessary at all.
>
> Wouldn't it be sufficient to update basejail with running jails and restart them after this updating? (In analogy to a "make installworld; make installkernel; reboot")

Update of basejail and restart of jails is enough. I am doing it this
way for a years.
We have build server with prepared updates mounted thru NFS and then
just make installkernel && make installworld (+ mergemaster) in host
system. After the host is updated (before reboot) I run my local script
to rsync changes from host to basejail (sync just bin, sbin, libs, but
not home, etc, var), then mergemaster in all jails and finally reboot
the server. I never stop jails before update.

Miroslav Lachman