Date:      Sun, 9 Jul 2017 02:03:36 +0200
From:      Sydney Meyer <meyer.sydney@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Mike Karels <mike@karels.net>
Subject:   Re: VirtualBox outbound networking

Mea Cupla, i guess.. I can confirm that both, NAT and bridged =
networking, are indeed working fine on 11.1-RC1 too. The "problem" =
appears to be "only" with ICMP and the way VirtualBox implements NAT, =
i.e. TCP and UDP work fine. A post from last month stated bridged =
networking on 11.1 BETA1 onwards wouldn't work either, that i can =
confirm is working fine, at least here and as far as i can see.

Mike, can your vbox guests send ICMP messages beyond their gateway on =
10.3 or is this known behaviour?

Thanks again..

Sydney

> On 9. Jul 2017, at 00:57, Sydney Meyer <meyer.sydney@googlemail.com> =
wrote:
>=20
> Hi Mike,
>=20
> yes, a (correct) default route is added and the guest can reach the =
VirtualBox nat-gateway.. oddly enough, the VirtualBox DHCP server seems =
to have passed the hosts resolv.conf and is able to dig dns responses =
with my local-lan dns resolver, but can't ping it.
>=20
> When a guest digs to my routers dns service, i can see the packets on =
the router coming from hosts IP address, i.e. nat working, but when i =
try to ping it the router, i can't see any packets, neither on the host =
nor on the remote site.