Date:      Sun, 2 Jul 2017 03:53:34 +0200
From:      Sid <sid@bsdmail.com>
To:        freebsd-toolchain@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: suggestion for toolchain to have its own directories

Any drastic change would have to be done in the head branch=2E

What about keeping ports' compilers as they are, by not using /usr/local/t=
oolchain/* at all=2E

Then going with the directory for the base system=2E For instance: /usr/to=
olchain/bin/, /usr/toolchain/sbin/, and /usr/toolchain/lib/ for shared file=
s=2E Then using /usr/toolchain/clang/ and /usr/toolchain/gcc/ for specifica=
lly needed files? of course the directory name can be abbreviated or otherw=
ise shortened=2E This suggestion is kind of like the include/ directories=
=2E If that's more difficult then, I'll redact my argument=2E In a way it s=
hould be more organized=2E However, in another way, perhaps it is more upke=
ep, which I intended to propose the opposite effect=2E

Fri Jun 30 21:13:32 UTC 2017, Mark Millard <markmi at dsl-only=2Enet> wrot=
e:
>There is some commonality=2E Both contexts are based on
>earlier Unix and Unix-like hierarchies=2E And the
>commonality helps with making ports and such easier
>to support as an example=2E The types of systems are not
>completely independent=2E

>Lots of tools and such are based on knowing current
>placements and general properties of the hierarchies=2E
>Reorganizations are a big deal and do not happen
>often=2E

>It is also messy for ports to organize things differently
>than upstream does=2E So things like lang/gcc7-devel are
>unlikely to go to the effort of being significantly
>different when the commonality covers most of the
>placements already (at least for default configurations)=2E

Sat Jul 1 10:01:29 UTC 2017, David Chisnall <theraven at FreeBSD=2Eorg> wr=
ote:
>Debian does something like this, and it=E2=80=99s a huge pain to work wit=
h=2E  The problem is that toolchains are not self-contained >monolithic com=
ponents (though gcc likes to pretend that they are)=2E  For example, we wan=
t gcc and clang to use the same >linker, the same C and C++ standard librar=
y implementations, and the same system headers, irrespective of the compile=
r >version=2E  Things that actually are private to a compiler are in separa=
te directories (see /usr/lib/clang, for example)=2E