Date:      Sun, 01 Apr 2018 00:27:21 +0000
From:      Ben Woods <woodsb02@gmail.com>
To:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Add option -Z to syslogd(8) to use ISO 8601 timestamps

Hi everyone,

Please review my patch to add the -Z option to syslogd(8) to use ISO 8601
timestamps in UTC:
https://reviews.freebsd.org/D14918

This patch was taken from OpenBSD, and is the first of many features from
RFC5424 that we should be looking to add to syslogd(8) in FreeBSD.

BACKGROUND:
I have been centralising my logs lately, and found that they had different
timezones, but the RFC3164 syslog timestamp format does not include the
timezone. The servers had their timezones set to UTC, whilst the
workstations had their timezones set to the local timezone. This made it
difficult to correlate events across machines, as my log analysis tool had
simultaneous events entered with timestamps many hours apart.

I have added a few people to the review who last touched syslogd(8) - sorry
to those people, just trying to get reviewers :)

Regards,
Ben

From: Benjamin Woods
woodsb02@gmail.com