Date:      Sat, 30 Dec 2017 22:31:17 -0800
From:      Russell Haley <russ.haley@gmail.com>
To:        Freebsd-mono <freebsd-mono@freebsd.org>
Cc:        David Naylor <naylor.b.david@gmail.com>, Tomas Weinfurt <Tomas.Weinfurt@microsoft.com>
Subject:   Re: Mono 5.2 patch and DotNet Core 2 update

On Thu, Dec 28, 2017 at 9:50 PM, Russell Haley <russ.haley@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Guys,
>
> Merry Christmas! Hope this finds you all well. While free time for me
> has been at a premium, I have managed to finally get my hands on a
> laptop and cram 16 Gb of ram and a nice big SSD in it. That means I
> now have room for lots of VMs. I have a GhostBSD image (FreeBSD 11.1)
> and will bring up a TrueOS which is a revision of CURRENT. Yay for
> Virtual Box!
>
> Mono 5.2
>
> I've created a svn ports repo to mess with and tried out the Mono 5.2
> patch from David. While I ultimately succeeded,  the D12440.diff patch
> had one error. The chunk was in a RUN_DEPENDS (inconsiquential to the
> build) but I patched it manually and ran it. I then found blank patch
> files for patch-mono_metadata_socket-io.c,
> patch-mono_utils_mono-compiler.h and patch-mono_utils_w32handle.c
> (there may have been more, I wasn't careful enough when I was deleting
> them).
>
> After some difficulty with the tarball downloads timing out, the build
> completed successfully! I'll be checking MonoDevelop as well shortly.
> I'm hoping David can chime in and we can finish this off?

So I've had some more time to play with this and the shear breadth of
Davids work is staggering. I've suggested in the review that it be
broken up into pieces so that it can be digested. Some of this work is
important to the DotNet core work; David has a port for msbuild and
Rosyln that are really exciting.

If David is able to chop the reviews up, is there anyone available to help test?

Russ