Date:      Sun, 12 Aug 2018 00:12:39 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        greg@unrelenting.technology
Cc:        pete@nomadlogic.org, "freebsd-x11@freebsd.org" <x11@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Clarification on moving to drm-stable-kmod on 11.2

On Sat, Aug 11, 2018 at 3:54 PM Greg V <greg@unrelenting.technology> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 12, 2018 at 1:12 AM, Pete Wright <pete@nomadlogic.org>
> wrote:
> >

> > On Aug 11, 2018 1:44 PM, Greg V <greg@unrelenting.technology> wrote:
> >> and

> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> These don't work with drm-*-kmod, the new names are:
> >> compat.linuxkpi.enable_rc6, compat.linuxkpi.semaphores, etc.
> >>
> >> And yeah, loader.conf is of course the right place.
> >>
> >> You can run 'sysctl -a | grep enable_rc6' =E2=80=94 if you see drm.i91=
5,
> >> you're on the old module, if you see compat.linuxkpi, you're on the
> >> new
> >> one.
> >>

> > Out of curiosity, what do these knobs do?  Or for the semaphor knob,
> > when would you use this?
>
> rc6 is a lower power state. I think it should be enabled by default
> anyway.
>
> semaphores enables, well, semaphores, for some synchronization in the
> driver somewhere=E2=80=A6 idk really :) also should probably be default=
=3D1

Thanks! For the record, I see that  compat.linuxkpi.enable_rc6 is set to 1
by default, but it's not clear which of the rc6 bits are set. If it is just
1, not all power savings are enabled, but it might now be a boolean and
setting it sets all three rc6 bits. I know that I needed to enable the
semaphores for some port, but I don't recall what it was. It now defaults
to 1, as well.

Thanks for the responses.
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com