Date:      Sun, 18 Nov 2018 17:53:36 +0000
From:      Johannes Lundberg <johalun0@gmail.com>
To:        deischen@freebsd.org
Cc:        x11-list freebsd <freebsd-x11@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: drm-devel-kmod amdgpu

On Sat, Nov 17, 2018 at 7:08 PM Daniel Eischen <deischen@freebsd.org> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I'm trying to get amdgpu to work with my AMD Ryzen 5 2400G (onboard
> graphics).  I guess it is Vega 11.
>
> I'm running:
>
>    FreeBSD vega 13.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 13.0-CURRENT r340429 vega  amd64
>    (my machine name was chosen years ago, long before AMD Vega)
>
>    $ pkg info drm-devel-kmod
>    drm-devel-kmod-4.16.g20181027_1
>    Name           : drm-devel-kmod
>    Version        : 4.16.g20181027_1
>    Installed on   : Sat Nov 10 22:09:05 2018 EST
>
> I'm using radeonkms="/boot/modules/radeonkms.ko" in /etc/rc.conf
> for now, as it works (mostly, the screen blanks briefly sometimes
> when playing videos or sometimes using firefox, always comes back.
> And VT switching works also).
>
> If I try using amdgpu, the screen will blank permanently, no VT
> switching is possible, or at least no consoles can be shown.
> Making sure that radeonkms is not loaded and X/KDE is not enabled,
> I tried booting single user and manually loading amdgpu, as well
> as letting it load from rc.conf.  But a blank screen is all I
> get.
>
> X doesn't seem to detect my monitor when using amdgpu, which
> is probably part of the problem.  I've attached both Xorg logs
> from radeonkms and amdgpu, as well as 'pciconf -lv' and
> 'devinfo -rv' output.
>
> I'm booting from a GPT partition, the default FreeBSD ZFS
> installation.

Hi

Thanks for the report.

First, I can't believe that radeonkms does anything, unless you have an
older discrete GPU in your machine. In your case it's falling back to VESA
according to Xorg log.

Vega is still experimental as of 4.16. According to various online sources,
it seems like we have to wait for 4.18 until Vega can be considered stable
(meaning we won't spend time trying to fix bugs that are not obviously a
FreeBSD problem). I think we can reach 4.18 before the end of this year.

Until then, your best option is probably booting with UEFI if you can and
using the scfb driver. It's much nicer than VESA...

Cheers