Date:      Tue, 26 Nov 2019 01:17:38 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Killing Giant for 13

> I'd like to kill Giant in 13 and schedule a firm removal date.
>
> The issues are (a) old drivers that aren't MP safe (b) some console / ATKBD
> interactions (c) newbus and (d) a few stays that haven't been characterized.
>
> (a) should be deleted or updated before the deadline
> (b) should be fixed by $SOMEONE[tm]
> (c) there's some work underway to refine the locking protocols to allow one
> to not have Giant held (there's real questions about how effective it is
> when things sleep or contend)
> (d) I'm researching.
>
> Would there be support for setting a firm deadline for Giant removal of
> around June 2020? This would be months ahead of a speculative 13.0 timeline
> (Earliest would  be December 2020, latest would be maybe October 2021, the
> exact details aren't super relevant for a June target date).
>
> This is a preliminary inquiry to get a feel for support for this option and
> to gather additional issues and requirements. Comments?

I see one reply to this, yet am seeing commits killing drivers, that
at least on surface appear to be not so old, and possibly relevant.

Though I have no objectionion to the removal of GIANT, I do have objection
to what appears to be execuction before research and discussion, especially
as I believe the item would of be under (d) above, as I do not consider
a driver that came into the tree at 10.0 "OLD".