Date:      Sat, 5 Jan 2019 20:39:53 -0500
From:      Bob Healey <healer@rpi.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   12-RELEASE + Storage woes

I've been updating my 11.2 systems to 12 via freebsd-update.  It has not
been a smooth process at all.  The virtual machines I did before the
start of the new year had no issues.  I posted the other day about
issues with a C2000 Atom and the BTX loader hanging.

Today I've run into 2 different problems.  The first is a host that hard
resets with a hypertransport error and bad dimm when something tries to
write to drives connected to the onboard SATA controller.  The second is
when updating ports on a different system between the two post reboot
freebsd-update installs, fetch is broken due to SSL problems.

I was able to work past that via pkg-static list > pkg.lst && pkg-static
delete -f \*, doing the second install, and reinstalling all packages
from scratch, but it was very frustrating and annoying to have to work
through.  12.0 really feels like a late stage beta or release candidate
with all the incompatibilities and work arounds required.

Is anyone else having similar issues, or have I just been
extraordinarily unlucky?

--
Bob Healey
Obsolete Desktop Technician