Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 2019 15:18:19 +0100
From:      Mark Martinec <Mark.Martinec+freebsd@ijs.si>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Boot loader stuck after first stage upgrading 11.2 to 12.0-RC2
References:  <22f5b92a09ea4d62ac3feb74457067f7@ijs.si> <5EEBAFC0-4FA3-4219-A918-7376F4223656@me.com> <f2737ffb236d39761767aa10a603c084@ijs.si> <0F5FCC70-EADB-4F9E-A391-F1A73BE5608F@me.com> <dc762bdf408c92daae826425fdba98d9@ijs.si> <B3C7194D-93B8-406B-9E8E-BA55D49D657A@me.com> <1543954753.1860.243.camel@freebsd.org> <EC8DD049-8BBE-4E96-A68B-A2846CED00BA@me.com> <53ceda24-fa1b-8546-3511-bd500b440dfe@digiware.nl>

Commenting on a thread from 2018-12 and from 2019-09-20, with my
solution
to the boot problem at the end, in case anyone is still interested.

=======

On 2018-11-29 myself wrote:
(after upgrading from 11.2 to 12.0):
> While booting, the 'BTX loader' comes up, lists the BIOS drives,
> then the spinner below the list comes up and begins turning,
> stuttering, and after a couple of seconds it grinds to a standstill
> and nothing happens afterwards.
> At this point the ZFS and the bootstrap loader is supposed to
> come up, but it doesn't.
[...] (on 2018-12-04):

=======

=======

=======are

Subject: Re: Lockdown adaX numbers to allow booting ?

2019-09-20 17:27, Mark Martinec wrote:

> This sounds very much like my experience:
>
>   2018-11-29, Boot loader stuck after first stage upgrading 11.2 to
> 12.0-RC2
>
> https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2018-November/090129.html
>
> https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2018-December/090159.html
>
> I now have three SuperMicro machines which are unable to boot after
> upgrading 11.2 to 12.0. After unsuccessfully fiddling with boot
> loaders,
> I have reverted two back to 11.2 (which boots and works fine again),
> and the third one is now at 12.0 but needs the boot hack as described
> by Kurt, i.e. pull out half the disks (of the 'data' pool), boot the
> system, plug the disks back in and zfs mount the remaining pool.
>
> Considering that the 11.2 boots and works fine on these machines,
> I consider it a btx loader failure and not a BIOS issue.
>
> What is common with these three machines is that they have one pool
> on raw devices for historical reasons (not on gpt partitions).
> My guess is that the new loader gets confused by these raw disks.

=======

Ok, now to my current situation and solution/workaround.

What was common with these hosts (and similar) is that a machine
has more than a couple of disks, with a zfs pool (non-root) on
raw devices (for historical reasons), not on gpt partitions.

Three workarounds seem possible:

- replace a boot loader with the one from 11.2, or

- using a default loader from 12, disconnect a sufficient number
   of data disks, boot, then reconnect disks and zfs attach the pool,

- or my current solution: zfs offline one disk at a time from
   a data pool, wipe it, set up a gpt partition on it and
   put it back to the pool by 'zfs replace', letting it resilver.
   It was a painful and slightly risky procedure (9 hours of
   resilvering each of the seven disks), but this procedure
   has now salvaged our remaining hosts which could not be
   upgraded from 11.2 to 12.

Mark