Date:      Sun, 27 Sep 2020 02:52:40 +0000
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        "Wall, Stephen" <stephen.wall@redcom.com>, FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-current@freebsd.org" <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: RFC: should copy_file_range(2) remain Linux compatible or support special files?

Wall, Stephen wrote:=0A=
> Could the as yet unused options param have a bit assigned to trigger the =
new =0A=
> behavior?  Inform the linux community of the addition and let them decide=
 if they=0A=
> would like to adopt it as well.=0A=
I'll assume you are referring to the "flags" argument when you say "param" =
above.=0A=
=0A=
You could. However, since the Linux man page says it will return EINVAL if=
=0A=
the "flags" argument is non-zero, you've still introduced an incompatibilit=
y=0A=
w.r.t. the Linux behaviour.=0A=
It does make it clear that copy_file_range(2) will have the non-Linux behav=
iour=0A=
when the flag is specified, which I think is a good idea.=0A=
=0A=
rick=0A=
=0A=
=0A=