Date:      Sun, 5 Apr 2020 22:03:29 +0800
From:      Ka Ho Ng <khng300@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-desktop@freebsd.org
Subject:   Nvidia Vulkan ICD supports on FreeBSD

Hi everyone,

Nvidia drivers for FreeBSD now only comes with OpenGL ICD (GLX and
EGL), without Vulkan supports. I have created a thread on the
FreeBSD/Solaris board related to Vulkan ICD supports on FreeBSD and/or
Solaris. Also there is an existing thread asking for the support of
Vulkan on FreeBSD. If anyone also wants Vulkan support we might reply
to these threads.

1. https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/a-modest-plea-to-add-vulkan-to-the-freebsd-graphics-driver/107149
2. https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/a-modest-plea-to-add-vulkan-to-the-freebsd-graphics-driver/107149

Without native ICD we currently rely on
https://github.com/shkhln/nvshim which seems potentially unsafe to
use, though it works usually. Thus I created a thread on their forum
to ask for such support. I have no idea what actually misses in order
to support Vulkan on FreeBSD, despite nvshim works for some of the
applications I tested such as vkcube.

Ka Ho