Date:      Sat, 4 Apr 2020 17:50:44 -0700
From:      John Kennedy <warlock@phouka.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: qt5-webengine

On Sat, Apr 04, 2020 at 07:41:54PM -0400, Robert Huff wrote:
> Jonathan Chen writes:
>
>>	 Frankly speaking, if you're compiling your own ports, you
>> have to use either synth or poudriere; anything else will cost you
>> time hunting down broken dependencies.
>
> 	Speaking as someone who's been compiling from ports for at least
> a decade, and maintains 1200+ ports on at least one box:
> 	Yes ... but not much.  I use portmaster and stuff mostly Just
> Works(tm).  [Thanks, guys!]  Ports get updated regularly, and the last
> major problem I can remember had to do with defauly version bumps in
> perl and python (2->3).
> 	I understand there are folks for whom poudriere or synth are The
> Right Tool(tm).  But I am one of a number of folks for whom it is like
> carpet-bombing the neighborhood to get rid of one miscreant squirrel.

  The thing that drove me away from portmaster to synth and eventually to
poudriere is incompatible dependencies.  I was running into those with just
X11 dependencies (~600 packages in my full port rebuild, so not sure how you
got lucky over that period of time).  Now, people keep on fixing portmaster
and fixing dependencies, but at times I would have just been SOL for an
indeterminate period of time.

  I also got in the habit of rebuilding and reinstalling everything about
once a month because of weird (dependency) breakages that portmaster (at
least at the time) couldn't figure out and recompile itself.

  I'm really impatient, and have a compulsion to security-patch things, so
thus I was finally driven to change (after I don't know how many years).

  Synth and poudriere avoided it because it was a build dependency, not a
run-time dependency, and their build environments kept that very clean
(which portmaster couldn't do, at least at the time).  It also let me have
less packages loaded on the machine overall, so less surface area for attacks.
Yeah, it recompiles a BUNCH of things that often don't get upgraded, but I've
never felt the need to recompile everything in case something got missed.

  I also find that port problems that break poudriere builds get caught
quickly (vs more-rare synth problems, and way faster than portmaster), so
I get to reap the advantages of what FreeBSD is building with.