Date:      Sun, 06 Dec 2020 18:19:09 +0100
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        Jan Beich <jbeich@freebsd.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 12.2-STABLE pkg upgrade remove firefox then need firefox-esr

Thanks Jan Beich for:
> "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com> writes:
>
> > On 12.2-STABLE pkg upgrade removed firefox, I wonder why ?
> > I ran pkg add firefox-esr,
> > & am now runnning cd /usr/ports/www/firefox ; make
>
> Build jobs die due to SIGKILL awfully often nowadays. When aborting jobs
> poudriere needs to clean up temporary filesystems, so SIGKILL is likely
> sent by out-of-memory kernel handler rather than by a human operator.
>
> http://beefy9.nyi.freebsd.org/data/114amd64-default/556876/logs/errors/firefox-83.0_4,2.log
> http://beefy6.nyi.freebsd.org/data/121amd64-default/556474/logs/errors/firefox-83.0_4,2.log

Also broke: www/firefox-esr/ :
> http://beefy3.nyi.freebsd.org/data/114amd64-quarterly/556468/logs/errors/firefox-esr-78.5.0_3,1.log
> http://beefy9.nyi.freebsd.org/data/114amd64-default/556140/logs/errors/firefox-esr-78.5.0_3,1.log

As well as www/firefox
> http://beefy10.nyi.freebsd.org/data/114i386-default/555064/logs/errors/firefox-83.0_2,2.log
> http://beefy1.nyi.freebsd.org/data/114i386-quarterly/553805/logs/errors/firefox-82.0.2,2.log
>
> When a build fails the package is removed from the repo because it's no
> longer safe to use with current dependencies (e.g., may fail to start
> due to ABI mismatch, may crash often or destroy user's data). If the
> package has consumers those are removed as well.

Localy cd /usr/portswww/firefox;make/ didn't rescue me, maybe build
failed on same fault as in cluster, or more likely some other fault.

Looking at man pkg-upgrade
I do not recall running --force in pkg upgrade --force

Again running "pkg upgrade" I see
	Installed packages to be REMOVED:
        node12: 12.20.0
        yarn-node12: 1.22.4_1

Maybe I missed a previous warning that pkg upgrade was about to remove firefox,
& maybe I typed 'y' by reflex.

In future before I run pkg upgrade, I better make a full backup of
/var/cache/pkg &/or /usr/local (using eg my favourite rdist6)

To ensure I dont forget to first backup, I looked in man pkg.conf & found hook:
	RUN_SCRIPTS Default: YES.
 	Example for pkg.conf: handle_rc_scripts: false

But I had no /usr/local/etc/pkg/
despite I have pkg-1.15.10 # pkg info -a | grep pkg
find /etc /usr/local/* -name  \*pkg\*

-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  518 Jul  9 19:35 /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf
-r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  16383 Nov 15  2019 /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf
-r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  16383 Oct 13 09:13 /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf.sample
-r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  16383 Nov 15  2019 /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf.sample.pkgsave

cd /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/pkg ; make install
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  2366 Oct 13 08:44 /usr/local/etc/pkg.conf.sample

I'v not found where default name of pre script is defined.

> Port maintainers and regular committers don't have access to package
> builders, so you need to contact portmgr@ or maybe clusteradm@.

Cheers,
--
Julian Stacey,  BSD Linux Unix Sys. Eng.  http://berklix.com/jhs/