Date:      Sat, 18 Jan 2020 20:27:27 -0800
From:      Ihor Antonov <ihor@antonovs.family>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   sysctl and /sysfs

--nextPart4213813.LvFx2qVVIh

Hi everyone,

I am coming to FreeBSD from Linux and I have questions about system structure.

I noticed that FreeBSD makes heavy use of `sysctl` to read and write kernel
parameters. Linux has /proc and /sys filesystems that represent various kernel
data structures, some of which could be writable.

In the spirit of Unix philosophy "everything is a file" I was wondering if
FreeBSD provides a view into kernel's parameters similar to sysfs on linux?
It feels a bit strange that instead of naturally exposing hierarchical kernel
data structures in a form of filesystem one has to use sysctl and text values
in a "parend.child.subchild" pattern. So the question is why?

It is possible that I am missing something or maybe FreeBSD has a different
view on this problem - I would love to understand!

Thanks
--
Ihor Antonov
https://useplaintext.email