Date:      Sun, 23 Aug 2020 10:19:06 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Antonio Olivares <olivares14031@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Reset xorg using lumina desktop

On Sat, 22 Aug 2020 16:27:00 -0500, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> Dear kind FreeBSD users,
>
> I am running FreeBSD using lumina.  I was using two screens, one with HDMI
> and one with VGA at school.  Since learning is now online, I am using only
> HDMI now, but my screen only remembers new setting.  I have tried checking
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf but it is not present.

That file needed to be generated in the past, but it's no
longer needed (and even the location is not correct anymore,
today you can use a /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf file, or
partial files in /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ with
configuration fragments).

For example, if you want to force a specific screen size
("resolution"), you could use the following:

/usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/screen.conf:

	Section "Screen"
		Identifier "Screen0"
		Device "Card0"
		SubSection "Display"
			Modes "1024x768"
		EndSubSection
	EndSection

I use this to have a laptop with a native LCD size of
1280x800 to display correctly on a 4:3 CRT attached at
the docking station.

> I try screen configuration, but
> cannot reset it to only Monitor with HDMI output.

You can use the xrandr program to manually switch to the
screen you want. Then add that to your X startup file,
~/.xinitrc or ~/.xsession, so it will automatically use
the desired monitor when you start X.

With xrandr, you can also alter the size ("resolution")
parameters of the screen, if needed.

However, most of all this stuff should be correctly
autodetected by X.

> How can I reset it so I can just have fresh desktop with all icons on the
> screen?

"Desktop with icons on the screen" is a matter of the deskto
environment, not of X. Most desktop systems will arrange the
icons depending on the screen parameters they find.

> If you need output from xrandr, I can send it in on Monday. When teaching
> online and using Google classroom, the microphone was muted, I started
> using telefono to use and connect with it.

Always check mixer settings, levels, selected recording device,
and for the program in use, which sound system it uses (for
example, OSS or ALSA).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany