Date:      Sun, 7 Nov 2021 20:36:54 +0100
From:      freebsd@ohreally.nl
To:        freebsd-pkg@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Questions about /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg

Hello list,

I have some questions about /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg. I can find very
little documentation about that directory.

My current problem is that devel/boost-libs won't upgrade, with the
following message:

No such file or directory @ rb_check_realpath_internal -
/usr/local/lib/compat/pkg/libboost_atomic.so.1

Actually, the mentioned file does exist. But it is a symlink to
libboost_atomic.so.1.72.0 which does not exist.

So my first question is if I can just delete this dead symlink, in the
hopes that the upgrade will then succeed?

But I have some more questions.

What exactly is this directory for?
The pkg.conf(5) man page states that libraries are backed up to this
directory (BACKUP_LIBRARY_PATH), but it doesn't say what these backups
are used for. Or when the backups should be restored. And when they can
be deleted.

Also, just above that line in the pkg.conf man page, it says that
BACKUP_LIBRARIES should be set to true to have libraries backed up.
However, it also says that this variable defaults to NO, and I never
edited pkg.conf (and I just checked: this var is not set in the default
file).
So why does pkg back up these libraries anyway?
In my case, this directory contains about 30 libraries, and over twice
that amount in symlinks.

Thanks to anyone who can shine a light on this for me.

Best,
   Rob

--
:wq