Date:      Mon, 15 May 2006 18:03:08 -0500
From:      Jeff Cross <jeff.cross@averageadmins.com>
To:        "Zimmerman, Eric" <Zimmerman.Eric@con-way.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, Derek Ragona <derek@computinginnovations.com>, Marwan Sultan <dead_line@hotmail.com>
Subject:   Re: after upgrade from 6.0 to 6.1

Zimmerman, Eric wrote:
>> If you followed those instructions, you used the wrong cvsup tag.  Set
> the
>> tag to:
>> *default release=cvs delete tag=RELENG_6_1
>>
>> in your cvsupfile, and rebuild everything again.
>>
>>          -Derek
>>

> Hi,
>
> You used my page (mikestammer.com) to upgrade. =)
>
> Notice the comment in the standard-supfile says:
>
> # use 'RELENG_6' for STABLE or 'RELENG_6_0' for RELEASE
>
> As others have mentioned, you would use:
>
> *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_6_1
>
> To get FreeBSD 6.1.
>
> I added a note to make it a little clearer:
>
> NOTE: Change the cvs tag as appropriate for what you are trying to do!
> IE if you want FreeBSD 6.1 RELEASE, use *default release=cvs
> tag=RELENG_6_1 and so on.
>

> The good news is the instructions worked =) Sorry for the confusion
>
> Eric

I also used the mentioned directions but changed the tag to RELENG_6_1
before beginning the process.  Here are the contents of my standard-supfile:

# cvsup -g -L 2 standard-supfile
*default host=cvsup3.us.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/var/db
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_6_1
*default delete use-rel-suffix
*default compress
src-all

The process went smoothly, shows my kernel recompiled today, but like
the initial poster, it shows 6.0-RELEASE in the uname -a output:

FreeBSD xtop.xnet.local 6.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE #0: Mon May 15
08:14:54 CDT 2006     cross@xtop.xnet.local:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
 i386

I followed the directions to a "t" minus the custom kernel.  I just
recompiled the kernel w/o the KERNCONF= parameters.  Have I done
something incorrect also?  Do some CVS servers by chance not have the
upgraded source?  I will try this again in a little while but don't
really want to take the time if my results will be the same in the end.

Any ideas?

Jeff Cross
http://www.averageadmins.com/