Date:      Wed, 10 Nov 1999 12:45:42 -0500
From:      Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
To:        dan@freebsddiary.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: proftpd and authentication failure

>ProFTPD Version 1.2.0pre8 is giving me authentication problems.  I've
>been able to get anon ftp running, but if I log in as my regular user id, I
>get invalid password.

You didn't say what version of FBSD.  It matters.  A lot.

>Here's the output from running with -d5
>
>received: USER dan
>received: USER dan
>received: PASS (hidden)
>PAM(dan): Permission denied
>USER dan: incorrect password

I've just been fighting the proftpd/pam/freebsd battle myself today
and it is now working.  More interesting than debug output would be
to know what is in your log file.

>If I add these two lines to /etc/pam.conf
>
>ftp auth    required    pam_unix.so         try_first_pass
>ftp account required    pam_unix.so         try_first_pass

This is exactly what I have.

>I get this eror:
>
>received: USER dan
>received: USER dan
>received: PASS (hidden)

What error?

>And the same again if I add this to pam.conf:
>
>ftp session required    pam_unix.so         try_first_pass

No.  You don't want this.  Well...  That may depend on what version
of FreeBSD.  You definitely don't want it with 3.2-R.

>I have no idea how to get regular logins working.  I'm ready to toss this
>aside and go with ftpd.  Anyone got proftpd running?

me.

-Mitch