Date:      Wed, 7 Nov 2007 07:25:35 -0600
From:      Josh Paetzel <josh@tcbug.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Matthias Fechner <idefix@fechner.net>
Subject:   Re: Autoattach geli device but not at startup

--nextPart12349197.v6KEr7eyvv

On Wednesday 07 November 2007 07:13:45 am Matthias Fechner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have here a setup where some backup directories are mounted
> encrypted (using geli).
> rc.conf:
> geli_devices=3D"ad3"
> geli_ad3_flags=3D"-k /root/backup1.key"
>
> But if the system must be rebooted it asks for the password before a
> network connection is available.
> The computer has no keyboard via default so it is really a pain to get
> the system up again.
>
> Is their a possibility to do something like that after the reboot:
> mount /mnt/backup1
> and mount starts geli and geli will ask for the passphrase?
>
> Thanks,
> Matthias

This is one of those cases where I would alter the base system a bit.  I'd=
=20
fiddle with the #REQUIRE in /etc/rc.d/geli to get it to start after sshd,=20
perhaps change it from initrandom to sshd.  You can check to make sure the=
=20
changes are sane by running rcorder manually.

If you go this route the console will still prompt for the passphrase, but=
=20
you'll be able to ssh in and run /etc/rc.d/geli start manually, which after=
=20
it ran, would automagically run everything after it in rcorder

=2D-=20
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel

PGP: 8A48 EF36 5E9F 4EDA 5A8C 11B4 26F9 01F1 27AF AECB