Date:      Tue, 5 Sep 1995 20:27:13 +0300
From:      Heikki Suonsivu <hsu@cs.hut.fi>
To:        "Duane R. Ellison" <duane@gargamel.ptw.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Cyclades CYCLOM-16Ye/RJ45 RISC Based Multi IO

   We are considering purchasing a Cyclades 16 port multi I/O board
   (CYCLOM-16Ye/RJ45) and I would like to know if anyone is currently using
   (or previously used) one of these products.  The main reason I am writing
   this is that I noticed in the /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/LINT it says that
   the drivers are "ALPHA QUAILITY".  Since we are planning on running a ISP
   off this hardware I want to see if the drivers at least work, before we
   drop the money on the card.

The current driver seems to be stable with 8-port cy boards, but I could
not get it to probe a 16 port board when I tried it last night.  The driver
didn't see the board at all.  I tried the board with linux driver and it
worked so it seems that the driver needs more work (but it probably works
if the probe problem can be fixed).  So, not yet for 16 ports.  I'll
probably experiment more next night.

I have had 8 V34 modems hanging on 8Yo with no serious problems for about 3
weeks.  It runs PPP and terminal sessions, uses gated for OSFP,
FreeBSD-current.  It was reported dead one night but was rebooted before
checking out what was on the console, so I can't be sure what was the
problem.

--
Heikki Suonsivu, T{ysikuu 10 C 83/02210 Espoo/FINLAND,
hsu@cs.hut.fi  home +358-0-8031121 work -4513377 fax -4555276  riippu SN