Date:      Thu, 22 Feb 1996 19:00:53 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Brogan  <jbrogan@reply.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Packet sniffing

I am running ethload.exe on a pc which can currently "see" all
network traffic on my small network.  Unfortunately I can't see
any of the packets coming in from our going out via my ppp
link to my provider.

What can I do to 1.1.5.1 to let all the inbound our outbound
traffic from the BSD box to the provider be seen on my network?
I'm using an SMC Elite 16 card
on the BSD box and have NE2000's on the PC's attached to the
network.  The BSD box is the one that establishes and maintains
the PPP link to the 'net.

I want to do this for only a few days to see what is happening
overnight on the network.  I am the only user using the machines
and want to see if someone on the outside is attempting to bang
on some doors and see what ports may be vulnerable.  Ethload.exe
works like a champ and if I can see packets coming off the 'net
that will be exactly what I"m looking for.

Thanks,

John Brogan
ReplyNet, Inc.
Direct: (301) 930-3186