Date:      Fri, 30 May 2014 04:52:37 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Sergei G <sergeig.public@gmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What is recommended admin / backup script location?

On Thu, 29 May 2014 19:12:39 -0700, Sergei G wrote:
> What would be an appropriate location for backup and other admin level
> scripts?

The system automatically backups some files to /var/backups.
See "man hier" for details.

> I assume cron will be used to schedule execution of backup script,
> unless there is a better solution.

The scripts 200.backup-passwd, 210.backup-aliases and 220.backup-pkgdb
in /etc/periodic/daily will perform such tasks. You could add your
own scripts and also add a custom location for backups, for example
an external or networked drive. Those scripts would probably be go
to the /usr/local/etc/periodic subtree, or /opt/periodic, if you
want to employ and (ab)use a Solaris-ism. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany