Date:      Wed, 20 Nov 2002 15:16:23 +0000
From:      Jon Barber <jon.barber@acm.org>
To:        Matt Smith <matt@forsetti.com>
Cc:        java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IDEs

Matt Smith wrote:

>Jon-
>  Thanks for the FAST reply.  I will check it out!  Have you ever used
>Netbeans/Forte/Sun One Studio?  Can you compare it to IntelliJ?

I've used both NetBeans & Forte, though not the most recent versions.
 Never tried Sun One Studio, though I suspect this is Forte renamed ?
 Anyway, I found them to be too heavy on system usage & do stuff I
didn't want.  IDEA starts up pretty fast & seems light on resources,
which I like as I develop mainly on a laptop.

IDEA has some very nice refactoring facilities.  For example, it tells
you straight away what imports are redundant and can sort them out for
you.  You can highlight a section of code within a method and extract
that selection to a new method, and IDEA will take care of generating
the signature etc.  You can also use a class that has no correct import
at the top of the file & IDEA will try and work out which package it is
in.  If it is correct you tell it so (by hitting ctrl+enter, I think)
and it inserts the import for you.

I've worked on projects with 1000+ classes etc, and I would not hesitate
to use IDEA on them (we used JBuilder, which was perfectly OK, but IDEA
would have been better for me).

IDEA is really a lightweight editor with neat refactoring and
intelligence about how to code java.  The tag line is 'develop with
pleasure', and that certainly has been my experience.  Well worth $399
(I think).

Jon.