Date:      Tue, 11 Nov 2008 21:44:14 -0200
From:      Gonzalo Nemmi <gnemmi@gmail.com>
To:        Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
Cc:        Pieter Donche <Pieter.Donche@ua.ac.be>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and USBmemorystick

On Tuesday 11 November 2008 9:17:36 pm Roland Smith wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 09:04:13PM -0200, Gonzalo Nemmi wrote:

> > > There are indeed messages:
> > > umass0: <M-SysT5 Dell Memory Key, class ... > on uhub4
> > > da0: at umass-sim0 ...
> > > ..
> > > da0: 60 Mb   (OK, it is a 64 Mb key)
> > > GEOM_LABEL: Label for provider da0s1 is msdosfs/USB MEMORY
>
> It's better to use this device, since it won't change when you plug in
> an extra USB stick/drive.
>
> > > also when unplugging, some messages
> > >
> > > $ ls -la /dev/da0s1
> > > shows only the character device line
> >
> > OK then .. let's get it to work.
> >
> > 1) Open /etc/devfs.rules and add the following lines:
> > [system=10]
> > add path 'da*' mode 0666
>
> add path 'msdosfs/*' mode 0666
>
> I prefer 'mode 0660 group usb' in principle, but that is personal.

Sure thing. But it adds an extra layer of complexity (I mean, he would have to
be a member of the "usb" group or even create it if it doesn't exist) and I
just wanted to be raw simple and to the core.

Now thanks to you reply, Pieter has more info on how to get around this :)

> > (Edit that line to suit your needs)
> >
> > 2) Open /etc/rc.conf and add the following line
> > devfs_system_ruleset="system"
> >
> > (Edit that line to suit your needs)
> >
> > 3) Create a mountpoint for your pendrive
> > mkdir -p ~/mnt/pen
> >
> > (Edit that line to suit your needs)
> >
> > 4) Open /etc/fstab and add a line like this one
> >
> > /dev/da0s1      /home/your_user_name/mnt/pen msdosfs rw,noauto   0   0
>
> /dev/msdosfs/USB\ MEMORY  /home/your_user_name/mnt/pen msdosfs rw,noauto 0
> 0
>
> > (Edit that line to suit your needs)
> >
> > Reboot
> >
> > Done ...
>
> I prefer to have a script do the mounting, so I can add some sane flags
> to mount_msdosfs that you cannot put in options/fstab AFAICT, like
> '-m 644 -M 755 -l -o noatime -o sync -o noexec -o nosuid'.
>
> Roland

There you go Pieter ... a simple example (mine) and a more in-depth one
(Roland's) on how to get your pendrive to work :)

Thanks for improving on my simple example Roland =D

Regards
--
Blessings
Gonzalo Nemmi