Date:      Thu, 07 Sep 2000 22:49:32 +0100 (BST)
From:      Andrew Boothman <andrew@cream.org>
To:        Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Andrew Boothman <andrew@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>, doc@freebsd.org, Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Ports Documentation Index - the next installment

On 07-Sep-00 Mark Ovens wrote:
>> as and when porters start writing +DOCS files
>> themselves that should be less of a problem.
>>

> should that not be "*if* and when"? ISTR that when Andrew first wrote
> this we got a rather cool response from the porters

Indeed. Opinion seemed to be that there was already too much work involved in
making a port, and that porters wouldn't take to kindly to having yet another
step added.

Having said that, the docsmaker script can give them a head start and with
extra persuasion the idea could still be a go-er. We may need to do some of the
grunt work though, as some porters may still not bother.

The response from porters was the main reason for me dropping the idea
originally, that combined with 'real world' things like exams and work.

---
Andrew Boothman <andrew@cream.org>
http://sour.cream.org