Date:      Mon, 23 Dec 1996 17:50:23 +0800 (PST)
From:      "Francis Percival C. Favoreal" <june@adn.edu.ph>
To:        freebsd-questions <questions@freebsd.ORG>
Subject:   Too many open files

I notice that when I try to reload the DNS by issuing a

	# kill -HUP 70

I receive the error below,

	named[70]: socket(SOCK_DGRAM): Too many open files - exiting

The process named is no longer running because of this error I think. I
have to reboot just to reload the DNS.

I somehow know the cause of this. I tried to assign multiple IP's to the
interface ep0. It works just fine and I did not see any error when I was
in the process of assigning multiple IP's. However, when I try to reload
the DNS by issuing a HUP signal, I see the error above. I hope by
illuminating the cause that this would help.

How can I remedy this error?

Thankx.

--
june