Date:      Wed, 12 Dec 2007 12:58:43 -0500
From:      "Philip M. Gollucci" <pgollucci@riderway.com>
To:        Francisco Reyes <lists@stringsutils.com>
Cc:        Free BSD Questions list <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Where is the next uid from adduser pulled from?

Francisco Reyes wrote:
> I have scripts to add new users. However, after that any port that installs
> a user creates it with a UID after the ones I made.
>
> For example I want all employees to have uids starting at 5000, but I would
> like too port installed uids to be 2000 and up. After I add some users (ie
> say last user is 5008), the next port that installs a user and doesn't
> specify uid.. then will get 5009.
>
> Tried looking for the adduser program, but could not find adduser.c
/usr/src/usr.sbin/pw

Ports call 'pw add user x', and pw add group y'

Philip M. Gollucci (philip@ridecharge.com)
o:703.549.2050x206
Senior System Admin - Riderway, Inc.
http://riderway.com / http://ridecharge.com
1024D/EC88A0BF 0DE5 C55C 6BF3 B235 2DAB  B89E 1324 9B4F EC88 A0BF

Work like you don't need the money,
love like you'll never get hurt,
and dance like nobody's watching.