Date:      Tue, 27 Apr 1999 13:18:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Jon Drukman <jsd@gamespot.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mount_cd9660 is case insensitive without -g

On Tue, 27 Apr 1999, Jon Drukman wrote:

> > Er, the ISO9660 format is case-insensitive and 8.3 filename limited to
> > cater to the FAT crowd. If you're copying from UNIX machines, option on
> > the RockRidge extensions (with the -R option?). This preserves case and
> > preserves symlinks, too.
>
> you're right, i was somewhat inaccurate above.  (the disc is in high
> sierra (aka rockridge) format, which is an extension to the iso 9660
> format.)
>
> anyway, there is no -R option to mount_cd9660.  there is -r, but that
> *disables* the rockridge extensions.

Hm .. what version of mkisofs are you using?  I'm sure my copy (that came
with cdrecord, I guess) has that flag that _enables_ rockridge support.
And is says RockRidge explicitly, not High Sierra.

> > If you want mixed-case for Windows machines, you'll have to find a
> > Joilet-enabled mkisofs.
>
> it's not Joliet, it's High Sierra.  anyway, here's a transcript which
> may explain my problem better:
>
> hudsucker# mount_cd9660 -R /dev/cd0a /mnt
> mount_cd9660: illegal option -- R
> usage: mount_cd9660 [-egrv] [-o options] [-s startsector] special node

I was talking about mkisofs.  Apparently you're not burning this CD, so
whoever did burn it fsck'ed up and didn't turn RockRidge on. :-)

From the mount_cd9660 manpage:

In either case, files may be opened without explicitly stating a version
number.

Just like on VMS. :-)

You can always copy it and use perl to rename the files.

Doug White