Date:      Tue, 9 Mar 1999 20:16:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      Rich Wilson <rwilson@gvpl.victoria.bc.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Can't su root

For some reason, when I try to 'su root', it freezes.  It was working
earlier in the day, and I have made no configuration changes (that I know
of!). I have tried rebooting, since it does not seem like a configuration
problem.  I am in the wheel group, and I have been able to su root ever
since I first set up this system with FreeBSD 2.2.6.  It is now
2.2.8-RELEASE.  I can login as root, and su to myself, no problem.  From
that shell, I can't su back to root again.  It just freezes, and I have to
ctrl-c.  It's kind of a pain, because I can't get a root shell in X.  I
have to switch to a console and login as root.

Help, please!

    __o
   -\<,   Rich
   O/ O