Date:      Sun, 26 Dec 1999 08:59:03 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Leif Neland <leifn@neland.dk>
Cc:        Justin Hawkins <justin@tardis.mx.com.au>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Serial boot prompt messages and a modem

Leif Neland wrote:

> > Just configure it correctly. Don't tell it to talk to a serial device
> > that will be sending it gibberish.
>
> A hack would be to have the loader emit ATE0 to protect itself from
> echoing modems.

AFAIK, it would not protect against all modems. I think Winmodems, for
instance, won't recognize that command.

> Another, but perhaps annoying would be flushing the input buffer before
> each read.

It's not enough. At the baud rates a modem work at, even when echoing,
the flush is likely to happen before the modem finishes echoing
everything.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com