Date:      Sat, 27 Sep 1997 23:13:41 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Andre Albsmeier <Andre.Albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
To:        jfarmer@sabre.goldsword.com (John T. Farmer)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Socket 7 class chip sets

> Does anybody have experience with non-Intel chipset boards with the
> AMD K-6 and/or the Cyrix 686MX cpus?  I just ordered a batch of Asus
> VX97 mainboards from one of my suppliers for some Win95 workstations,
> and he cliams that Intel has stopped production of both the VX _and_
> the HX chipsets...
>
> The VX can be replaced (at a higher price) by the TX, but he also
> claimed that there isn't going to be a HX follow-on/replacement.

And as far as I'm informed correctly, the TX can only cache 64MB RAM.

> My understanding (I admit that I've not been paying much attention...)
> is that the newer P-II/slot-1 chipsets _won't_ support the socket-7
> cpu's without alot of expensive, possibly slower support circuitry.
>
> I use the HX-based boards (mostly Asus P55-P2T4's) for all my lower cost
> servers & important workstations, so if I have to start using a different
> one, I want to get the eval process underway.

This is my problem also. At the moment, I don't know which board to buy
if it has to cache more than 64MB. I have still got 2 of Chaintech's 5IFM1
(HX) which work well with the K6 after replacing the heatsinks but that
won't last long.

So if you have got some good experience with newer Board and FreeBSD,
please drop me (or the mailinglist) note.

Thanks,
		-Andre