Date:      Mon, 8 Jan 1996 00:42:14 +0000 ()
From:      Neil Bradley <root@root>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Trouble with Hitachi ATAPI CDROM drive

I've added in the wcd0 device into my system's configuration file, did a sh
MAKEDEV for the device, and after the system reboots, dmesg tells me:

wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 on isa
wdc0: unit 0 (atapi): <HITACHI CDR-7730/0008a>, removable, iordy
wcd0: 689Kb/sec, 128Kb cache, audio play, 128 volume levels, ejectable tray
wcd0: medium type unknown, unlocked

When I try any mount command on the unit, such as:

mount /dev/wcd0c /cdrom
or
mount -t cd9660 /dev/cd0c /cdrom
or
mount_cd9660 /dev/wcd0c /cdrom

I get:

/dev/wcd0c on /cdrom: Device not configured

I've tried both FreeBSD 2.1 live file system and installation CDROMs. I do
have a directory called /cdrom and am logged in as root when I attempt these
commands. I've read FAQ after FAQ and none of the suggestions have helped.
Any suggestions? I'm running FreeBSD-2.1-stable. Thanks!

-->Neil

Synthcom System's homepage:                         http://www.synthcom.com/
Europa Upgrade, Synth patches (D-50, Xpander/Matrix 12), used gear pricelist