Date:      Mon, 8 May 95 19:05:01 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        julian@ref.tfs.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        marc@cmc.eng.comsat.com, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Streams Drivers?

> no it's not to SYSVish, but in the same breath, I must say I don't know
> of any work being done on  it either..
> karels has something called bstreams he's been mumbling about for a while,
> and jolitz has something called 'flows' he's been ruminating on for about
> as long.. terry MIGHT have a framework hidden away somewhere...

I do; it's an SVR4.2 MP safe streams implementation.

The bad news is that it runs only on 386BSD 0.1 + patchkit 1 and uses
SVR4.0.2 sources for the ldterm and card drivers and uses Lachman
sources for the TCP/IP.

The other bad news is it panics when you use priority banding.

The real bad news is that I finished it up after June of 1993, so
Novell thinks they own it (they're wrong, but it takes a lot of
strength to argue with the former USL).

It would require a lot of work to get the pre-June '93 code up to
snuff; I have it on a QIC-150 at home (without the USL/Lachman code
it needs to link); the only other place it exists is on a 300M ESDI
drive up at Weber (one that won't run because the WD1007 it was
attached to is fried).

Streams itself is almost trivial to write (well, excepting the
priority banding stuff, obviously), with the big chunks going into
the system call interface, the queue code, and the streams modules
themselves (oh yeah; and the streams tail code to let them talk to
drivers).

Basically, the new networking code, the new syscall interface, and
various other changes mean it's close to a total rewrite to make it
go.

On the other hand, the University of Arizona has Novell's SPX and
IPX and their own TCP/IP running in an xkernel implementation, which
is a very Streams-like environment.  It might be worth grabbing
that, or getting bstreams (if you can).

Finally, there's a Streams implementation being done for Linux
right now; I could dig out the reference if i had to...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.