Date:      Tue, 8 Jan 2008 15:47:14 -0800
From:      "Peter Wemm" <peter@wemm.org>
To:        "Robert Watson" <rwatson@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Perforce Change Reviews <perforce@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: PERFORCE change 132434 for review

On Jan 3, 2008 5:25 PM, Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Jan 2008, Peter Wemm wrote:
>
> > http://perforce.freebsd.org/chv.cgi?CH=132434
> >
> > Change 132434 by peter@peter_daintree on 2008/01/03 22:24:56
> >
> >       Export the build uuid to the dump header.  Nothing interesting is
> done
> >       with it at this point.
> >
> >       While here, move all the mkdumpheader() copies into a MI place, as
> >       the (duplicated) comment suggested.  Allow magic numbers to be
> passed
> >       through so textdumps can share the code too.
>
> Currently, I duplicate the panic string and kernel version string from the
> dump header in the textdump itself as data files.  Any chance you want to
> do
> the same with the uuid?
>
> (Perhaps a better model would be to have savecore append another file to
> the
> textdump containing the header information, but the above seems to work
> fine
> for now, and has some advantages).

I was originally planning to put the uuid in the minidump header.  But, I
believe that savecore will store the uuid in the info.xxxx file.  I have not
actually tested this.

Still, more copies is probably better than less.  Granted, the version
string is probably more than good enough given that it stores a build
timestamp, but it wasn't really meant for that.  The build uuid is meant to
guarantee the ability to conclusively match between a kernel dump and the
actual source kernel file.