Date:      Tue, 3 Oct 2000 22:22:30 -0800
From:      Kirk Brogdon <kirk@alaptech.com>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: arp messages

On Tue, Oct 03, 2000 at 10:46:34PM -0700, Crist J . Clark wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 03, 2000 at 03:22:28PM -0500, Fengping Li wrote:
> > On Tue, 3 Oct 2000, Kirk Brogdon wrote:
> >
> > > Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 10:34:36 -0800
> > > From: Kirk Brogdon <kirk@alaptech.com>
> > > To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> > > Subject: arp messages
> > >
> > > I get these "arp: 192.168.x.x is on rl0 but got reply from
> > > <mac> on fxp0" quite often.  Is something actually wrong or are
> > > these just informational?  Everything seems to be working okay.
> > >
> > > rl0 is my lan interface and fxp0 is the outside interface
> > > (cable modem).  I have the natd_interface parameter pointed at
> > > fxp0 in rc.conf.
> >
> > It happens when two cards with diffrent network plug into one hub.
> > It still works but it is annoying.
>
> And is a broken configuration.
>
> If that is your problem, do not plug two NICs into one collision
> domain. It can break things and will always reduce network
> throuhgput.
> --
> Crist J. Clark                           cjclark@alum.mit.edu

I only have the 192.168 card (rl0) plugged into the hub along with a few win 98 boxes (the wife has to have her scrabble).  The fxp0 is plugged directly into the cable modem.  At first I thought that this was a result of natd doing its' magic but the more I thought about it I started to suspect my netmask (255.255.0.0) for rl0.  I changed it to 255.255.255.0 this am and haven't seen any since.