Date:      Wed, 17 Dec 1997 00:26:54 -0600
From:      mikk0022@maroon.tc.umn.edu
To:        Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
Cc:        The Classiest Man Alive <ksmm@cybercom.net>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel Configurator

On Tue, 16 Dec 1997 19:02:40 -0700 Wes Peters wrote
>The Classiest Man Alive wrote:
>>
>> If there were a (semi) GUI application that assisted the user in selecting
>> a relevant, compatible set of options and then allowed him/her to build
>> the resulting kernel, would that be useful to any of you?  Do you think it
>> would be useful to FreeBSD/UNIX rookies?
>
>Yes, but configuring a kernel is not something you do every day.  For that
>reason alone, such a project won't have a big impact on day-to-day admin.
>If, on the other hand, it's a project to get to know new tools or a new
>language, it would certainly be a useful goal to attain.

But the current state of affairs in configuring kernels is not good for
UNIX rookies.  Although I agree that a GUI would be misguided here,
there are other ways to make the process friendlier.

If you really want to help, how about a tutorial on kernel configuration,
with a few good "walked-through" examples.  The man pages are clear
and concise, but some people don't like that.  Meanwhile, the BSD docs
are too in-depth, and not something that can be digested easily.

Just my .02.....
--
Chris Mikkelson         	mikk0022@maroon.tc.umn.edu
U of M Tuba and Student    "Life is too short for windows..."