Date:      Wed, 24 Mar 1999 00:10:19 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Gavan Anderson <gavanja@ibm.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: P133 Question

In the last episode (Mar 24), Gavan Anderson said:
> I just set up a 2.2.8 installation on a Pentium 133. On boot up as it
> scans through the hardware, one of the messages returned states:
>
> "Pentium F00F detected .. installing workaround"
>
> What does this really mean? Do I have a problem with that version of
> the Pentium processor, or is it something broken in the INTEL
> instruction set?

It basically means you have a Pentium.  All Pentiums are susceptible to
the "F00F" bug, where a certain machine-language instruction (starting
with the hex digits F0 0F) can lock the CPU up tight, requiring a
physical reset.  The workaround alters the system so that the
instruction is trapped before any damage is done.  In 2.2-STABLE and
later (i.e. 3.* and 4.*), the wording has been changed to:

 "Intel Pentium detected, installing workaround for F00F bug"

which, if nothing else, is at least grammatically correct :)

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com