Date:      Tue, 30 Aug 2005 23:25:54 -0500
From:      Nikolas Britton <nikolas.britton@gmail.com>
To:        Ionut Anghel <ionut.anghel@gmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Firewall/NAT/Traffic Shapper

On 8/30/05, Ionut Anghel <ionut.anghel@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> I'm trying to setup a Firewall/NAT/Traffic Shapper server using FreeBSD 5=
.3
> I install all the packages, including kernel sources...everything's ok.
> Then I activate ipnat and natd in rc.conf and all the clients behind the
> router can access the Internet.
> But, if I want to install dummynet (i add options dummynet and ipfirewall=
 in
> kernel source) and recompile the kernel, after the reboot, nothing's work=
ing
> any more! Not even from the server! I can't even ping a NIC.
> I have read lots of tutorials, but nothing's helpfull...
> Please, tell me the correct steps I should follow in order to do what I w=
ant
> to do (or give me a good and complete tutorial)
> Thanks in advance!
>=20

1. Download m0n0wall:
http://www.m0n0.ch/wall/download.php?file=3Dgeneric-pc-1.2b9.img
2. Put the firewall boxes hard drive or CompactFlash card in/on your deskto=
p PC.
3. Follow the guide on how to image the hard drive or CF card with the
file you downloaded: http://www.m0n0.ch/wall/installation_generic.php
4. Insert HD or CF card back into the firewall PC, connect a monitor
and keyboard, turn the unit on.
5. Follow the steps presented at the console, then reboot.
6. Disconnect the monitor and keyboard.
7. Point you web browser to the ip of your m0n0wall firewall box and login.