Date:      Tue, 10 Jun 2003 04:16:09 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        leafy <leafy@leafy.idv.tw>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Version Release numbers

leafy wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 12:47:05AM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > NetWare and Oracle.
>
> We can always follow Sun's path. Call the software FreeBSD II, which
> is FreeBSD 5.2, also known as FreeBSDOS 2.2...

I suppose we could always rename the OS after the theme
song for the Carl Sagan series "Cosmos", as composed by
Isao Tomita after being inspired by the Cannes Film
Festival Grand Jury Award-winning Russian movie adaptation
by director Andrei Tarkovsky of the novel by the Polish
author and playwrite Stanislaw Lem.

Or we could make fun of Sun for picking that name like Apple
did, and go straight for "BHA"...

We could always call it "Ijon Tichy", or "Trurl", which is
almost a computer reference, given that title.  Personally,
I'd vote for "Pirx"; it has that all-important "X" on the
end, and it's an equally obscure Lem reference.  If you
really wanted to be out there, though, there's nothing better
than "The machine which could make anything, so long as it
started with the letter N".  That, or "Steelypips", though
"Trurl" does have "URL" in it...

-- Terry